Galp Energia, partner of the consortium for the exploration of Block BM-S-24, informs that the preliminary results obtained during the drilling of well 3-BRSA-1246-RJS (3-RJS-732), informally known as Apollonia, have confirmed the presence of hydrocarbons and the extension of the Júpiter discovery in the pre-salt Santos basin.
Apollonia is the fourth well drilled in the Júpiter area, where it is being drilled in ultra-deep waters, at a water depth of 2,183 metres, located at 296 km off the coast of Rio de Janeiro, in Brazil, and at 8 km southwest from the Júpiter discovery well (1-RJS-652A).
Drilling activities have proved the existence of an hydrocarbon gross column of c.313 metres, from 5,166 metres depth, in rocks presenting good porosity and permeability conditions. Besides the gas cap and condensates, the well identified an oil gross column of c.87 metres.
Samples collected from the well confirmed the similarity of the fluids characteristics discovered in the first discovery well 1-RJS-652A (Júpiter) and the 3-RJS-683A (Júpiter NE) and 3-RJS-713 (Bracuhy) extension wells, indicating the existence of a large common field, gas (natural gas and CO2), condensates and oil.
The consortium will proceed with the activities set in the Evaluation Plan approved by the National Petroleum, Natural Gas and Biofuels Agency (ANP).
Galp Energia, through its subsidiary Petrogal Brasil, owns a 20% stake in the consortium that explores Block BM-S-24, while Petrobras (operator) holds the remaining 80% stake.
Galp Energia holds stakes in three other blocks in this basin with high exploratory potential: BM-S-11 (10%), BM-S-8 (14%) and BM-S-21 (20%).
Source: Galp Energia, SGPS, S.A.